SEO is an abbreviation of Search Engines Optimization or website optimisation in Google as we often call it. But what is the term itself, and what does the discipline fight for? SEO is a means of transforming a particular page or website into the web in such a way that they successfully pass the standards and requirements of users and search engines for quality, speed, popularity and relevance.
Where to start?
The optimization of a site started with the choice of design and code writing. The design should be nice, user-friendly, the items should be located in places where users are used to seeing them – everything should be simple, clear and beautiful. Your business should become a brand (if it is not already), you will need a logo and other visual elements.
The program code itself should be well written, correct, clean and compliant with W3C standards. If the code is bad, the site may be slow and the bots themselves will encounter difficulty crawling your pages, which will directly affect the rankings on Google.
It needs to use good frameworks were too easily other programmers to work on the project and over time if the developers made the site are not online, you can without much trouble and other programmers touching on the site.
3. Choose one version of the www domain or without the other option, redirect it to 301 to the one you have chosen.
2. Proper URLs
URLs can be 2 + types
a) Directory structure: http://example.com/menu/submenu/publication
b) Short URL: http://example.com/publication
Whatever we choose, it is best for URL addresses to be written in lower case letters and an intermediate dash to be used as a separator. Use only lowercase letters and numbers, no pen and other characters. Addresses must be descriptive and contain the important keyword (phrase). Especially for Bulgarian URLs the variants also for two. Or be written in Cyrillic or in Bulgarian but with Latin letters (transliteration).
3. Install tracking code for Google Analytics
4. Install Trace Code of Search Console (formerly Webmaster Tools)
5. If you use WordPress, use complete SEO plugins
6. XML Sitemap – Helps bot in page crawling and easily understands when new content is available.
7. Robots.txt – does not do much work. You can disable certain bots access to certain pages of the site. It is also good to describe your sitemap, which is in XML format.
8. Check for site speed problems and see how to fix them here.
9. Moblie Friendly. Make sure your site has a mobile version or a ripples design and looks good on mobile devices.
10. Breadcrumbs Navigation. So-called breadcrumbs are of paramount importance to both search engine bots and consumers. They help you better get where you are and how you get there.
11. Canonical Relationships. They are useful when sometimes URL addresses need to open pages of the same content. rel = “canonical”
12. Alternate Relation. Indicates that despite duplicate content, these are important pages of the site itself. It’s about RSS, XML Sitemap, and so on. rel = “alternate”
13. Next and Prev. These are paging relatives. Next shows the next page, and prev – the previous one.
14. ALT tag for photos. Search engines still do not see what’s on the pictures themselves, and thanks to this descriptive alt tag, we say what’s on every picture.
15. “Error 404” page. These pages serve as bots to not having to “reviewed” countless pages and consumers to see that there is no such page and offer them a relevant choice.
16. Structure and Elements. If you want your website to be good optimised in google you need to have a good and user-friendly structure of the information in it (menus, pages, services and etc). After the big picture, you need to be sure that your pages with text, have the correct structure elements. These are the headings (H1, H2, H3 …), quotations, lists and etc.
17. Microformats (Microdata). The microdata is intended to describe the content of the item on the page. See more about the https://schema.org protocol.
18. Open Graf Protocol. You can find out more about this great story.
19. SSL certificate. Increasingly binding, especially for sites where personal information is provided. Ranking signal.
20. Onsite Trust (Trusted) alerts. These are signals that inspire users to trust the site. Yeah, they’re like that:
- Unique, beautiful and professional-looking design
- Phone and email in an easily visible place
- SSL certificate
- Trust badges
- References from satisfied customers and fans
- Show your team
- Active social networking accounts
- Clear delivery terms (if you are an online store)
- Multiple payment methods (for online stores and others)
21. An internal link building. Useful for users who will find similar content that would be interesting to them. Appropriate for search engines that like meaningful internal pages – help them to navigate easily in the structure and also to better understand the content itself.
On page optimization
22. Title (Meta Title tag). Extremely important for both ranking and attracting users. Use a unique title for each page – between 60-70 characters.
23. Description (Meta Description tag). The meta tag of the page. Seen in the search engine snaps. It is good to have about 155 characters and to let potential users click on that result.
24. H headings. Headlines add and enlarge important headlines and subtitles in the content. So the user and the bots understand what is more important in the text and not only. They can also be used in images, logos.
25. Photos, videos, and other files. Enrich content, increase CTR, keep the user on the site. Of course, they should be on the subject only.
26. Formatting. No one likes to read straight, long, unformatted and without paragraph text – such content is doomed to failure. Do not allow spelling and punctuation errors.
27. Content length. This is controversial. Everywhere, the better version is a text of at least 500 words up, but the amount actually is not as important as quality.
28. Semantics. From 2013, after the introduction of the Colibri algorithm, Google is trying to understand our queries and context searches. Really understand what it is about. So, always strive for your content to be as descriptive as possible, use all sorts of synonyms, and try to enrich your semantic cores.
This is a really long and complicated process. Let’s assume that these are all things we do outside of our site for its popularity and prosperity. Here are:
29. Link Building. Build powerful and relevant meaningful links to different pages of your site. See more about link building.
30. Create and maintain pages in social networks.
31. Brand. Everything we do to promote and enforce the brand.
32. Active participation in branch forums and groups.
33. Marketing. We can include almost everything here. And it’s not just about digital marketing. Already there are many creative ways to market through the exact target group you are looking for – Content Marketing, Neat Ads, Email Marketing, Affiliate Marketing, Video, Reputation Management, Radio, Television, SEO Optimization, etc …